Monday, July 22, 2013

Long Overdue...

Yesterday a friend reminded me that I hadn’t updated this in a while and she strongly suggested I do so, so here it is!!! 

Let’s see here, what all has been going on in life lately?  Well, I moved, I’m working, I’ve found some volunteer opportunities, and I’m pretty much melting in this heat.  Period.  The end.  Then again, I guess I should probably elaborate a little bit…

Move-  About 3 weeks ago I moved out of my aunt and uncle’s house and into Lancaster City.  I am living with another lady in a 3 story city home that she owns, just a few blocks away from where I lived for 11+ years!  I have my own room on the second floor, and Karen (my housemate) and I share the rest of the house.  It’s been different being a little more independent, but I really am enjoying it!!  I have my room all re-painted and pictures hung, so there’s no doubt it’s my room!!  J  If you live in the area and want to see my house, let me know and I’ll give you the address!!!!  Oh, and I love getting mail, hint hint.  ;) 
Part of my painted room!!


Work-  Where to even start with work??  Honestly, I love my job and I am so blessed to have an amazing group of people to work with!!  I am currently learning how to open in the mornings, so I’ve had some early work days lately!  Thankfully I don’t get (too) grumpy in the mornings!  It’s been fun getting to know the “regulars” that come in and overall interacting with the guests.  I have made several new friendships that I am so thankful for and I can’t wait to see what other opportunities will come with this job!
Gotta love the CFA cow!!!

Ready for cow appreciation day

The KCB car was stuffed with cows... 1474 of them to be exact!

Ooops...


“Other Stuff”-  While work takes up a lot of my time, I’ve still been able to find some volunteer opportunities to get involved in and house/dog-sitting to do.  Yesterday (Sunday, July 21) I helped with parking at Long’s Park’s free Sunday concert, it was a lot of fun!  A couple of weeks ago I house/dog-sat for a family from church, it was fun to have a Lab again!  Wednesday evenings I have been going to a small group with UCF.  It’s been nice having these interactions in the middle of the week and a time to be together with others as well.  I also recently started the process of volunteering with CAP (Community Action Program) which works with underprivileged families here in Lancaster.  They’re looking for someone to help with babysitting during weekly meetings, which is right up my alley!  Of course, there are also other random hikes, picnics, coffee dates, and fun activities that come up throughout the weeks! 
Puppy-sitting Archie!



Longs Park  concert!

Roots with the clan


Playtime!

Puppy-sitting Izzy

:)

Meeting Jordan

Wedding time!


Heat-  Let me just shoot down one common misconception right now, IT IS NOT THIS HOT IN GUATEMALA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I’m definitely not used to this kind of heat and humidity!!!!  Not much more to say about that… 

Oh, I was accepted into HACC’s Nursing Program for Spring 2014, which is quite exciting!  It’s nice to know that that’s for sure what I’ll be doing!!!!  Classes for this semester start on August 19, so I’ll be taking the prerequisites for the bachelors program, that way I’m doing something productive for the semester!  I have 3 online classes and one in the classroom, which will make for a very flexible schedule.  I’m looking forward to getting back into studying again, as crazy as that may sound.  J 



I think that’s pretty much the 500-word version of my life right now!  It’s amazing to think that I’ve already been in the states for just about a year and seeing how much has changed, but more on that later.  J 
Lancaster County Sunset

Larry my first lightning bug of the season!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment