Sunday, May 8, 2011

Reality


Well, I think the reality of life is starting to sink in a little bit… it’s a little overwhelming actually!!

First there’s this whole thing with Shyanne.  Overall the adjustments for us are going well, we knew this was coming so I think we were all kind of preparing for her leaving.  But, after two years of her constant chatter, it does feel quite quiet in our house right now!  Supper times especially are quiet; she was always giving us a complete recap of her day and her “dream world”.  At the same time, it kind of feels like a relief to have this situation at least closer to closure than it has ever been.  We know she is in a home where she will receive excellent care, even though she is not with a family.  She will be nurtured and challenged and she will have the security that we were not able to give to her.  We did receive an update and she was adjusting well, which is really a huge relief!!

Also, it’s starting to hit me that I am done with high school.  FOREVER!  We are sending my portfolio back with this team so that we can get my diploma and I can be an official high school graduate.  I’ve always had the cushion of “well, college is still a few years away”, but I really don’t have that anymore!  I am planning to (and have been planning to) take a year off between high school and college, so I guess I still have a little bit of time before jumping into the real world, but it’s still a bit of a scary thought!!  I guess I’ll just take it one step at a time roll with the punches!

So, now that school is done and Shyanne is gone, what are we doing to fill our time?  Well, this past week have had a team, working on the wall again.  I was out with them every day; pick-axing, clearing brush with machetes, playing with kids, etc.  This coming week we are going to go away as a family for a few days.  While we were in limbo and all with Shyanne’s situation, we were constantly saying that, once this is all over, we’re getting away!  This is our chance so we’re going to go for it!  Also, this weekend Abby, Risa and I are going on a youth retreat with our church, and then we start right back into a team!  I guess we’ll find enough to keep us busy… =)

Oh yes, and happy Mother’s day to any and all mothers, grandmothers, aunts, babysitters, mentors, and any other women that interact with kids!!!!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment