Saturday, September 1, 2012

Becoming "Normal"


It’s hard to believe that week #2 of school is already over and that I’ve been in the states for over 4 weeks already… woah!!  Slowly slowly there are parts of life that are starting to feel more “normal” and not quite as overwhelming, but there are still some areas that I wonder if I’ll ever adjust to!!!  Let me break it down for you…

“Normal” Parts:

                -School-  Ok, so I’ve had two weeks of classes and I definitely know where I’m going each day and the general idea of what’s going on.  Yay!!  So far the work load hasn’t been too bad and I haven’t had any trouble keeping up, praise God!  I know there are some projects that are going to be starting soon and exams coming up though, so maybe things will get a little more difficult, but we’ll cross those bridges when we get there!  J
I decided to take my sisters to my 8:00AM Anatomy and Physiology class...  


                -Grocery Stores-  I think I can finally walk through a grocery store without looking quite so shell-shocked and amazed at the varieties… mostly.  I did go into Costco the other day (like Pricesmart, for those in Guate), and I was a little overwhelmed there, but we’re getting better!

                -Driving-  You will no longer see me driving down the street like a little grandmother, hoping not to break any speed limits/laws!  Don’t get me wrong, I’m still being careful, but I don’t feel like I’m on edge quite as much as I used to be!
Logan all pimped out and representing Guate!


                -I’ve also enjoyed re-connecting with some friends and catching up with people.  It’s fun to be able to go out when I want to and make plans on my own! 


Brad showing some Guatemalan Pride!!


Just catching a ride from a 5 year old...



Clay giving me a ride!




Not So "Normal" Parts:

                -Dog-  At my aunt and uncle’s house we have a Boston Terrier, Spike.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Spike, but I really do miss my doggies too!!!  I think I’m going through big-dog withdrawal! 
Spiker


                -Noses-  I’m still trying to get used to the nose on Logan, it feels quite big!!!  I’ve gotten better, but every now and then I’ll still cut it a little close…
...


                -Bathrooms-  Those trashcans are still REALLY far away from the toilets!!!!!!

                -I’m finding remnants of Guatemala in different parts of my stuff, which I’m not complaining about!  The other day I was walking to class though and found a volcanic rock in my backpack… now how’d that get there?!?! 


Overall I would say that I’m becoming more and more settled here in the US and it’s beginning to feel more like “home” than it had before.  That’s not to say that I don’t miss my friends and family in Guate, because I really REALLY do, but I am enjoying making connections and finding my place here in the good ‘ol USA as well!!  Thanks for your continued prayers and encouragement, they mean a ton!!!!!  J

Just a random sunrise... just because.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thought and musings. It's fun to follow them. The pics are great. I love having someone at HACC to look for between classes, there are so many kids. Thanks for saying hi... Have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete