So I’m sure by now many of you have heard about the situation with Shyanne, but if not, here’s a quick overview…
When Shyanne was 2 weeks old, she was assigned to a family in the States for adoption. In the course of the past six years, Shyanne has been in an orphanage, two foster families (ours included) and has really has not stability. In May of 2009, Shyanne was moved to our home as a foster child, NOT to adopt. Not more than a year later, because of corrupt lawyers and other complications with her paperwork, it was determined that Shyanne would not be going to the States with the family that began the adoption process in the first place. Then, at the end of last year (2010), the case workers asked our family if we would be willing to adopt Shyanne. This came as quite a shock to all of us since we went into this with the understanding that we could not adopt her. After lots of prayer and discernment, we decided to make ourselves available to adopting Shyanne. At the beginning of March we were told that the head-honcho would not sign Shyanne’s final adoption paperwork, thus meaning we cannot adopt her. Between that meeting and today’s there were several other meeting to determine whether or not the adoption would be able to happen, but today we got the final confirmation that we will NOT be able to adopt Shyanne.
In addition to not being allowed to adopt Shyanne, today we were informed that, because of our work, we will not be able to adopt any children from Guatemala. I think this was the news that hit me even more than not being able to adopt Shyanne. With Shyanne, we had had a little bit of forewarning, but I can’t say I necessarily saw this one coming…
I know everyone in our family is feeling different emotions this situation, so I’ll speak for myself right now. Pretty much, if you name an emotion, I’m probably feeling it. I am relieved that we finally have an answer after so much time in limbo, but I am disappointed that we will not be able to adopt Shyanne. I am heartbroken that we will not be able to adopt children from Guatemala, especially since it has been a dream of mine to have a younger, Guatemalan sibling. I am outraged that the children need to take the punishment for the decisions, and I am confused as to why God is allowing this to happen. This only begins to describe the different emotions, but I think you get the idea! =)
So what’s next? The next step is to get a court document saying that we cannot adopt Shyanne, and then she will be moved. There is really no saying how long this will take, but we’re praying that it will happen sooner rather than later, for her sake as well as ours. There is a lot up in the air concerning what will happen after all of this, so we’ll just have to wait and see what God has in store!
Yes, this entire situation is heartbreaking, maddening, and whatever other emotion you can think of, but GOD IS IN CONTROL!!! He knows Shyanne much more than we do, He knows our family better than even we know ourselves and He will do whatever He sees is best. That doesn’t necessarily make things a ton easier, but it does give me a peace knowing that He is in control.
Thank you all so much for your prayers and support so far. I know I am amazed at how many people are standing with us and it really is a blessing!! We have a long road ahead of us, but I know that, with everyone’s prayers, we will make it!!!